Ordering in bulk - whole animals, sides, and quarters
Buying a whole steer (or side or quarter) is a fun and economical way to buy healthful, flavorful beef, and get a wide variety of beef cuts.
You can have your side or quarter custom-processed. We will tell the butcher exactly how you want it. We can make suggestions if you would like help deciding how to get it processed.
How much does a side or quarter of beef cost?
A side of beef costs $7.75/lb.
A forequarter of beef costs $8.00/lb.
A hindquarter of beef costs $8.50/lb.
We charge a price per pound for freezer weight, the weight of the beef you’ll receive frozen, packaged, and labeled.
- The exact price will depend on the animal’s final weight and the way you choose to have the beef processed.
- As an estimate, a side of beef will yield approximately 160 - 180 pounds of beef and will cost about $1240 - $1395.
- You will receive a detailed invoice describing the cuts you're receiving.
What is included in a side or quarter of beef? Read on below for more info! Please note that these are ESTIMATES and these are OPTIONS. You will not necessarily get exactly the following quantities or cuts. If there is something you especially want, ON or OFF these lists, you must CUSTOM ORDER to make sure you get that. Custom ordering means that you have talked to Susana on the phone or by email about exactly how you want your beef processed.
- $8.00/lb for freezer weight
- Estimated weight and price of forequarter: 80 - 90 pounds = $640 - $720
- 15-20 pounds chuck steak or roast
- 8 pounds arm roast
- 1 brisket, about 3-4.5 pounds
- 1 skirt steak, about 2 pounds
- 8 pounds ribs—short or BBQ
- 4 - 5 pounds ribeye cuts—either boneless ribeye steaks, rib steaks, or rib roast. If you choose a bone-in cut, it will weigh more than this.
- 4 pounds stew meat
- 35 - 45 pounds ground beef
- 4 pounds soup bones
- $8.50/lb for freezer weight
- Estimated weight and price of hindquarter 70 - 80 pounds = $595 - 680
- 1 flank steak, about 1 pound
- 1 tenderloin (about 2 - 3 pounds) and about 4 pounds NY Strip steaks OR about 7 pounds t-bone steaks OR about 2-3 pounds filets and 4 pounds NY strips
- About 4 pounds sirloin
- 25-30 pounds of meat from the round. These can be cut into round steaks, cutlets, or roasts (rump roast, bottom round roast, top round roast, eye of round roast, Pike’s Peak roast)
- About 4 pounds stew meat
- About 35 pounds ground beef
- About 4 pounds soup bones
|Anything here that you do not want can be cut differently or turned into ground beef.
To reserve a quarter, we require a $100 deposit with the balance due upon pickup. You can pick up your beef by appointment at our farmers' market booths or San Antonio office.
To reserve a side, we require a $200 deposit with the balance due at pickup.